The Caravan & Motorhome Chat Forum
Motorhome noise? - Printable Version

+- The Caravan & Motorhome Chat Forum (https://www.caravanchat.org.uk/community)
+-- Forum: At The Water Tap (https://www.caravanchat.org.uk/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Forum: General Chat about our Hobby (https://www.caravanchat.org.uk/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Motorhome noise? (/showthread.php?tid=5114)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Motorhome noise? - Tigerfish - 29-08-2019

The DCOS and I are still missing our caravanning, but having sold the big Merc, and opted for a much smaller BMW X1, towing is not really an option now and anyway I think Ive had enough of that.

So today took a test drive in a Peugeot Majestic 140 Motorhome. 2015 reg with a genuine 17,000 miles behind it. It drove quite nicely but I was put off a bit by the sheer noise and tinny rattles coming from behind me. The young sales assistant blamed it on rattles from items in the oven etc. Grill pan and shelves etc. Is it always like that? I realised of course this sort of noises might have been going on in my caravan and been unheard in the Merc.

So my question to the Motorhomers is this. Is that a common problem? What do you do to stop it? Loads of towel packing ? I was pretty sure that the noise was not mechanical or coming from the vehicle it was from the fixtures and fittings, which were spotless and by the look of it very little used.

TF

RE: Motorhome noise? - huskydog - 29-08-2019

Hi ,TF , an empty M/H will always rattle and make odd noises , but once packed most of them will disappear , you just need a few tea towels or pipe lagging in the right place , you’ll never get rid of all of them , also the correct tyre pressures will make a difference, also there will always be a bit of road noise due to the stiffer side wall of the tyres 
Don’t be put off by one road test

RE: Motorhome noise? - HughR - 29-08-2019

TF I can only echo (see what I did there) what HD says you soon work out what’s rattling creaking etc and find a way to muffle it (DCOS not included) we have a much quieter ride after 3/4 journeys.
The one other thing I would implore you to do is demand the dealer weighs the van before agreeing any purchase. Even better if two adults in it and full fuel so you know what payload you’ve got in real life and not dealer/manufacturers Narnia. We’ve just had an eye opening experience with weight and payload pm me if you want further info
Welcome to the Motorhome world,just googled the van you tested, very nice the 150 engine should give it real get up and go, nice layout and useable size

RE: Motorhome noise? - Tigerfish - 30-08-2019

Thanks Guy's I appreciate that. I realised that it was probably the case but needed the re assurance!

TF

RE: Motorhome noise? - Riggers - 31-08-2019

Hi TF any decision yet? Will watch with interest as we keep considering making the switch probably in the next 2 years

RE: Motorhome noise? - HughR - 31-08-2019

thumbup Riggers

RE: Motorhome noise? - Riggers - 31-08-2019

Just sat on the ferry at Hull enjoying a drink before our evening meal. Whilst sat here have just booked to go to the NEC show on the Friday in October. Staying at the Solihull Travelodge for two nights got a really good rate a £60 per night including breakfast. Means we will be able to get in as soon as the show opens and spend a full day there.

Parked up at Ferrybridge for a comfort break this afternoon

[Image: 56-D15527-0-EF8-47-B2-A47-A-321-A17665-F12.jpg]

RE: Motorhome noise? - Tigerfish - 31-08-2019

We are getting keener. Just going through the various options. The boss is very much against anything too big, but we also want a layout that will allow two single bunks at night. I feel the heat too much to share a double with the boss who likes to be very warm.! Excuse the personal details!

TF

RE: Motorhome noise? - HughR - 31-08-2019

Happy hunting TF

RE: Motorhome noise? - Tigerfish - 01-09-2019

Its quite fun!

TF