Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations for Pembrokeshire sites please
Many years ago I worked in that part of Pembrokeshire .I was involved with marketing the early potatoes grown in the area, My base was in the farmhouse above Dale fort overlooking the haven. Our team's favorite watering hole was the Swan at Little Haven. A great pub 6 days a week. Closed on Sundays. Time off we would go fishing with the locals in St Davids bay. Fish suppers in the Swan were to die for. the major down side was when it rained it did not know when to stop .
Thank you  so much Tigerfish, Rosa and Admiral.  I will print all this and show to our son and DIL and hopefully a decision will be made. Smile It all looks and sounds absolutely wonderful.
Retirement is relentless. Rolleyes
If you like good walks, take a look at Bosherton Ponds, in the Broadhaven area. A gorgeous walk. Lots of wild life.
In our home, dog fur is a fashion accessory! It's also a condiment....... Yay!  Heart
Rosa, Don't worry about treading on my toes when talking and showing pictures of "The Little England Beyond Wales".

And for the record what a smashing picture!

TDA's recommendation is spot on. Park up in the car parking area Nr Bosherston and after a pint at the pub, walk through the Lilley ponds, all the way to Broadhaven, then westwards up onto the headland and along to St Goven's chapel .  Then back along the lane to the Lilley ponds car park to collect the car.

TF
Thanks all for all the info and recommendations. We are going toward the end of May so hopefully it will coincide with brilliant weather
A bird doesn't sing because it has the answer, it sings because it has a song
Well as expected the plan has changed! We are now not taking the caravan as son and DIL thought it would be a good idea if we all stayed together so a very nice looking cottage has been booked in St David's as we thought that would make a good base for all your recommendations. Son worked at Castell Henllys as an archaeologist many years ago and knows a little bit about the area. Having never been to that area before Mr H and I are really looking forward to it.
Retirement is relentless. Rolleyes
It is gorgeous. Take a look at the Blue Lagoon, on old slate quarry. Used for Red Bull high diving I think now.
In our home, dog fur is a fashion accessory! It's also a condiment....... Yay!  Heart
I think you'll enjoy being in St David's Millie, it's a lovely place to mooch around and the cathedral is quite special. We've visited Castell Henllys which is on the way to Cardigan, it's good fun seeing the iron age way of living! Just down from St David's is Porthclais (NT) which has a very attractive harbour area for walks and there are boat trips to Ramsey Island nearby.
(18-02-2017, 11:46 AM)Takethedogalong Wrote: It is gorgeous. Take a look at the Blue Lagoon, on old slate quarry. Used for Red Bull high diving I think now.

Well what a coincidence TDA, we were there yesterday, also had lunch in The Sloop at Porthgain a watering hole of Cerys Matthews when she is home visiting her parents at Trefin who have a farm there, and yes TDA you are right the Cliffs at Abereiddy are used for the Red Bull Diving in September, by all accounts its a brilliant sight, sadly we haven't been as we are always in Catalonia when it's on
Not only been, have jumped off the cliffs and coasteered the lagoon! Long time ago though. I was on a training course run by Twr Y Felin? We stayed in the wonderful windmill that was their HQ, not sure if they still use it now. It was a great if exhausting few days, something I have never forgotten. Just how cold the water was, even in a wet suit will stay with me forever! Would love to see the diving event.

The Bishop's Palace near the Cathedral is a great visit, very interesting. For history and Shakespeare fans, I think they used St David's for filming The Hollow Crown, so there might be some interesting information about this as well as the lovely Cathedral itself.