Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MarmiteGate!
Brexit begins to bite!!

Gasp

Tesco has stopped selling dozens of its most famous household brands to its online shoppers because of a dispute with its biggest supplier, Unilever.

Included are Marmite, PG Tips tea, Pot Noodles and Surf washing powder.
The row is said to have developed when Unilever - which says it faces higher costs because of the fall in sterling - attempted to increase wholesale prices.
The products are still being sold in stores but Tesco said its shelves were running short of several brands.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37639518
bunny  We Live In A Rainbow Of Chaos, I'm Chasing The Carrot At The End Of The Tunnel bunny
Big business bullies arghh Unilever want to put up all prices. . . .Even those goods manufactured in the UK which are not affected by fluctuations in exchange rates or brexit. Badly masked greed that could lead to job losses. No I don't own shares in Tesco nor work there Smile
Inevitable I'm afraid for obvious reasons but if I elaborate I'll be accused of talking the economy down and the Mail, Express etc will be hunting me down to silence me.
Never grow a wishbone where your backbone ought to be  
whistle Expect Brexit to be blamed for the approaching British winter.

Companies try it on every time they think customers will buy their story.

Mr & Mrs Fysh will be avoiding unilever products and those from any other companies that do this. We will also pay far more attention to where things that we buy are made.

I'm backing Britain (as they used to say)

Still taking the caravan to Switzerland next year though despite the above
Plenty of those Unilever products used to be British until the gullible public welcomed the takeover by American interests. Even more were taken over and discontinued or production moved to Wogawogga.

Tesco are not going to have empty shelves for an hour longer than they can avoid, so alternatives will be available. And other supermarkets exist.

[Is there an alternative to Marmite? Cherry Blossom perhaps?]
Navigator

Land Rover - making mechanics out of drivers since 1948.
Ha ha! There is a link between Unilever and Tesco! The chap that now barters big style on behalf of Tesco, used to barter big style on behalf of ........Unilever! We loathe PG Tips tea, Surf gives me a rash and I just happen to have a full big pot of Marmite! I will manage to survive without Pot Noodle as well!

It will get worse though. Heck, it could get so bad that folks might have to start growing their own veg again!
In our home, dog fur is a fashion accessory! It's also a condiment....... Yay!  Heart
I find this very interesting. Uk products that Unilever have can be sold for more money abroad so they can export them.they do not need to sell in the UK. As a producer of food all my working life for a retail sector that demarnds more for less I have a great deal of sympathy for Unilever. Unless the producer can make a margin on the product it will cease to be available.In arable agriculture today there are many crops that can be grown and used for non food, mostly electricity. Here in the east I see more and more alternatives to food production being put onto the fields each year. In the end unless the consumer is prepared to pay a fare price for the food they want, it will not be there, We and I include myself have no right to food. so if there is empty shelves in the food shops, its because the suppliers found a better market elsewhere.
Why not grow more of our own food if we can? Pot Noodle does not grow well though.

It's said the difference between a French persons garden and a Brits garden it the French plant veg and the Brits plant flowers.

Quite a lot of things are going to change in the next few years and change bothers some people. To other people change means opportunity.

I'm quite excited about it all but it might not be a smooth ride so I'm keeping my seatbelt on expecting a bit of turbulence
Marmite, Flora, PGTips.......

I couldn't give a monkeys about a battle between two capitalist giants

But I'm very worried about the impact this dispute might have on the chimpanzees  Angel

bunny  We Live In A Rainbow Of Chaos, I'm Chasing The Carrot At The End Of The Tunnel bunny
Haha, I find the next one following that and being banned for TV as funny Bugs LoL
-------------------------------------------------------------
OUR TRAVELS: http://trailsandways.weebly.com/