Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips On Germany A Great And Varied Country.
(07-11-2015, 11:58 PM)emmerson Wrote: We've also spent time in Germany, and agree that it is a very beautiful country with friendly, hospitable people, but there is always the exception to prove the rule. Let me tell you a story:
We stayed on site in Meissen, en route to Prague, and visited Dresden from there. As Anne doesn't walk too well, we took a bus tour, which was very informative, and showed us parts of this lovely city we would never otherwise have seen. (including the VW factory made of glass!). The tour bus was like a suburban railway carriage with four seats round a table, with language-selectable audio guides. Opposite me was a very old man, and as I'm 73, he was OLD! As we were passing a long straight street, the commentary said that the street was pointing due north, and that the Allied bombers used it as their guide home, and dropped any remaining bombs on the way, so that street was completely destroyed. I can only assume that the old man must have lived there, as he looked directly at me and said "British Bastards"! I was struck completely speechless, (and that takes some doing). It totally spoiled our day in Dresden, and as our previous visit two years earlier was curtailed by bereavment, I don't think I'll risk going  there again!
I must say though, that in four or five visits to Germany, that is the only anti-British sentiment we ever saw.
Btw, has anyone been to Lubeck? It doesn't seem to get much tourist hype, but again is a very lovely city.

Why does my top 100 only go to 88? Anyway, of those, I score 26. But there was no mention of the Speyer and Sinsheim museums! Why ever not?

I don't know why 88 it is very strange I could add a lot more to the List but we have been to 40. It is a different list to the one which I counted before.  

We have never met anyone anti British in over 35 years of visiting the Faterland, as they say in Deutch.
If you go to the Top 100 (88) places to visit in Germany you can download the App on Apple or Android Phones/Tablets. Useful to use when you are in Germany.

Dianne
If your ever in the Celle/Soltau area of Germany a great day out is the Walsrode Vogel park.  Over 4000 birds in a lovely parkland setting.  Lots to do including flying displays.  You can park your MH in the car park and you can leave your 4 legged friend in the purpose built kennels.  

http://www.weltvogelpark.de/en/
A bird doesn't sing because it has the answer, it sings because it has a song
This is a very timely thread as just tonight we've decided to go to Germany and Austria next year!

Any more helpful tips will be gratefully received - we've only been once and have only done 7 of the Top 100 listings (with the last 12 all being numbered 88!) mostly in & around Dresden, so I'm looking forward to adding to it.

Thanks for starting it Dianne.
My blog of our travels with & without the caravan: http://v2.travelark.org/traveller/blackpoolbelle  

What time of the year are you thinking of going BB? Smile
And what area or a grand tour?
H

Living with Parkinson’s and exercising the brain and body to hold it at bay. Static at Flambrough

We've done 3 of the Julia Bradbury Romantic Walks in Germany, just got the one at Rugen to go. We will make it as part of a tour. Our favourite so far was the Bavaria, up high by cable car (Tegelbahn) then 18ks mainly down hill passed Neuschwanstien, stopping at a remote pub for lunch, great walk we did it twice in about 4 days!
A bird doesn't sing because it has the answer, it sings because it has a song
(09-11-2015, 12:53 AM)DianneT Wrote: What time of the year are you thinking of going  BB? Smile

Currently thinking about Sept-Oct, probably to Bavaria then southern Austria, but its very much in the "thinking about" stage at present. We've been to the Bamberg area + Dresden (friends in both places) & that's about all so we thought the 2 above would be interesting. Any further or alternative ideas gratefully received!
My blog of our travels with & without the caravan: http://v2.travelark.org/traveller/blackpoolbelle  

I think you would have to think twice about going to Southern Austria at that time BB as a lot of the camp sites close end of September. Agree about the Julia Bradbury walk inc the Tegelbahn.
Stayed at a cracking site near Dresden will post details later. Meissen and Colditz well worth a visit.
H

Living with Parkinson’s and exercising the brain and body to hold it at bay. Static at Flambrough