Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marker boards in Spain
As our outfit is over 12m in length, the marker boards are a requirement however I cannot find any reference on how they should be fixed to the rear of the caravan according to Spanish law requirements.
I am referring to way they are fixed onto the caravan and not the way they are displayed. Can you use velcro, sticky pads or are the aluminium plates required to be screwed to the body of the caravan?
We would be very reluctant to use screws to fix the plates to the rear of the caravan as it will invalidate the water ingress warranty in that area especially as you have to remove the plates when travelling in some other EU countries. The CC site is not clear on this.
Hello, Uvongo, it's nice to see you posting. Perhaps you'll join us in the other sections at some point. We have fun and banter in the Traveller's Rest and Around the BBQ.

Sorry, I can't help with your question but I'm sure someone will be along with an answer soon.

Welcome to Caravanchat.
(10-01-2016, 02:09 PM)Uvongo93 Wrote: As our outfit is over 12m in length, the marker boards are a requirement however I cannot find any reference on how they should be fixed to the rear of the caravan according to Spanish law requirements.
I am referring to way they are fixed onto the caravan and not the way they are displayed. Can you use velcro, sticky pads or are the aluminium plates required to be screwed to the body of the caravan?
We would be very reluctant to use screws to fix the plates to the rear of the caravan as it will invalidate the water ingress warranty in that area especially as you have to remove the plates when travelling in some other EU countries.  The CC site is not clear on this.

The first time we used them we stuck them to the back of the van using the same two sided sticky pads as car dealers use for number plates.  They worked perfectly well but when it came to remove them we found nasty sticky residue which needed a lot of WD40 to remove.  Fortunately our van (a Burstner) has a large rear window, so next time we put them inside the window, resting in the inner groove at the bottom an a little bit of sellotape at the top to hold them in place.  Both seemed to be acceptable to the Spanish police.  We encountered many but were never stopped.
The last over 12 metre outfit I saw leaving this site (where I'm staying in Spain) had his plates fixed to a length of plywood. The wood was then attached to the two grab handles. I didn't see how, but obviously it would need to be secure. I have also seen long UK outfits leaving without any plates, and since they must have travelled the length of Spain without attracting police attention, conclude that it can't be high on their list of offences.
The concern about fixing them to the caravan is because the caravan will be treated with Paintseal which is why we are trying to avoid sticky pads. Probably use cable ties around the rear grab handles and some Blue tack.
(21-01-2016, 10:10 AM)Uvongo93 Wrote: The concern about fixing them to the caravan is because the caravan will be treated with Paintseal which is why we are trying to avoid sticky pads.  Probably use cable ties around the rear grab handles and some Blue tack.

Reference the removal of the "sticky pad" residue, I have found that the residue from headlight converters is easily removed using a spray of windscreen de-icing fluid then a rub with a piece of paper kitchen towel. If is really stubborn, spray some fluid on to the kitchen towel and rub. It will come off eventually. There is a product called "Sticky Stuff Remover" in the form of a spray but I have found de-icer to be just as effective if not more so.

I haven't tried this technique on number plate sticky pads but it is worth a try. Try it on something that doesn't matter if it doesn't work before trying it on the bodywork of the caravan.

Dickers
Here we all are in 2018 and the question regarding 'long vehicle' markers on outfits over the 12 metres length on Spanish roads remains a problem. Our Unicorn Cadiz attached to our Volvo XC60 is 12.058 mtrs and as we're driving from Bilbao to SW France, we should display the two short markers or one long one. Like most caravaners, I don't want to screw anything to the rear of our 'van. What if, as has been suggested in 2016 posts, I were to attach the long marker to a length of lightweight timber and secure that to the rear grab handles with stout tie wraps? Any recent experiences or advice would be welcome. Regards.
James I have alerted Jaydug to your question and I hope he can help you further. He is a frequent visitor to Spain.

Dianne
(15-03-2018, 11:54 PM)DianneT Wrote: James I have alerted Jaydug to your question and I hope he can help you further.  He is a frequent visitor to Spain.

Dianne

I'm very grateful Dianne. 

James
My caravan has been paint sealed. What is the problem with using adhesives? I have a very small dent caused by a flying twig when a hedge was being flailed. I want to cover it with a round white plastic reflector which has an adhesive back. But now you have worried me!

TF