Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barleywood CL - Norfolk
Barleywood CL is some 3 miles from Fakenham on the edge of the village of South Creake.  Barleywood is very popular with people booking months/years in advance.  You will be assured of a warm welcome from owners David and Lorna who spend time and money continually improving the site and its facilities on this Adult Only site.  There are 2 toilet/showers (£0.50p), EHU, water and picnic tables at each pitch.  Barleywood is a large site with spare EHU posts so pitches can be alternated.  Recycling and waste disposal well thought out.  The information summerhouse contains, washing machine, small kitchen, freezer stocked with everyday items for sale via honesty boxes.  Fresh eggs are available and David will arrange for newspapers to be delivered for you. Walks for both 2 legged and their 4 legged friends are right outside the entrance up the lane running beside the site. If you want to go out for the day without your 4 legged friend Barleywood has some large dog cages.  At the moment there is a fair amount of traffic using the lane due to the construction of a Solar Farm, this should be completed by early April 2016.  

David and Lorna’s latest project is to install a self-contained Shepherds Hut for 2 people at the top end of the site, it will be fenced off and screened with a hedge.

There is a Morrison’s store and petrol station on the outskirts of Fakenham.  Plenty of pubs and restaurants locally.  We tried the Hourglass in Sculthorpe and found the food and beer very good.
For me Barleywood is all about location for wildlife watching.  The Norfolk Wildlife Trust (NWT) sites of Cley and Holme are within easy distance.  RSPB Titchwell and Snettisham are within half an hour driving distance.  National trust properties of Blickling Hall, Felbrigg Hall and Sheringham Park. Holkham Hall and Houghton Hall are a few minutes’ drive.  The NNR railway is worth a visit. The beaches are large, wide and sandy and my recommendations are Holkham, Titchwell, and Holme next Sea.  Barleywood has plenty of wildlife and David and Lorne keep plenty of feeders stocked.  There is a Barn owl that often visits and sits on the fence posts, Mistle Thrushes, Jays, Finches, and Tits etc. Red kites and Buzzards often over fly.  Deer and Hares can be spotted on the field next to the site.  
We use Barleywood for mainly long weekends (Friday to Tuesday) about 4 times in the winter, in the last 3 years we have visited 12 times and I can’t imagine a time when we wouldn’t visit.
A bird doesn't sing because it has the answer, it sings because it has a song
Sounds excellent One we have stopped at the one, I believe further down the road cannot remember it's name it is a CL though.
Dianne there are about 4 CLs on that stretch of road and another being set up about 100 yards from Barleywood
A bird doesn't sing because it has the answer, it sings because it has a song
Are they all CL's.? The one we stopped at twice is Compton Hall. Bit sloping site but not a problem.
(21-02-2016, 12:54 PM)Oneputt Wrote: Dianne there are about 4 CLs on that stretch of road and another being set up about 100 yards from Barleywood

After reading your review OP I googled it, I can't use it due to my method of touring, the CC don't allow my Awning. A pity because it looks excellent, ideally situated around my preferred area of visiting. Thanks for the review it was enjoyable Yep
That is a shame Hapz if the CC accept you as a Member you should be able to use any campsite I would have thought.
Dianne
(21-02-2016, 01:15 PM)DianneT Wrote: That is a shame Hapz if the CC accept you as a Member you should be able to use any campsite I would have thought.
Dianne

They(CC) class Awnings as tents, only a few 'tent friendly' sites allow Awnings/tents on. It's a great pity, more for the income of CC bannered sites. I use mainly private sites that welcome all. 
Barleywood always sounds stunning, and in a great location. We love Fakenham, have stayed on racecourse lots of times, and our favourite part of Norfolk is the coast from Hunstanton up to Sheringham, then all the lovely inland towns and villages. Heart

Happz, I know the perfect stop for you and your none CC conforming unit (growl!), contact me if you want details! Cool
In our home, dog fur is a fashion accessory! It's also a condiment....... Yay!  Heart
(21-02-2016, 03:08 PM)Takethedogalong Wrote: Barleywood always sounds stunning, and in a great location. We love Fakenham, have stayed on racecourse lots of times, and our favourite part of Norfolk is the coast from Hunstanton up to Sheringham, then all the lovely inland towns and villages. Heart

Happz, I know the perfect stop for you and your none CC conforming unit (growl!), contact me if you want details! Cool

Thankyou, I will Yep
(21-02-2016, 12:54 PM)Oneputt Wrote: Dianne there are about 4 CLs on that stretch of road and another being set up about 100 yards from Barleywood

Especially for Hapz....... There is a CS about 1/4ml away from Barleywood towards Fakenham, which is owned by Lorna's sister. You should be able to use your Awning as a tent on there. 

We've stopped on Barleywood  a couple of times and can recommend it too.