Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goose Slade Farm CL, Yeovil, Somerset.
The Caravan Club’s CL – Goose Slade Farm is about three miles outside Yeovil in Somerset. It’s an unusual type of farm because its main product is geese, with just a few pigs and even fewer cows. On the site is a farm shop which is open from Tuesday till Saturday, 9-6pm. The area allocated to Caravan Club members is a level rectangular field with one boundary backing on to a country road; another by a railway line and the third by open fields where in the distance can be seen the geese. Closer to are the chicken coops where half a dozen chickens are free to roam. The chickens are frequent visitors to the caravans, as are the farm cats and ‘geese’ dogs. Chickens, cats and dogs happily co-exist without any friction. Water tap, dustbins, recycling and chemical disposal is in one corner of the field. Two toilets are situated close to the farm shop.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks very nice Jaydug one to keep in mind. Thanks for posting.
Nice pics, the "locals" look very relaxed!
We stayed a couple of years ago and would return. Plenty to do in the area. Walked down to lake and across fields to pub. Delightful to sit and watch the Border Collies herd the geese morning and evening. Nice little shop and cafe
A bird doesn't sing because it has the answer, it sings because it has a song
Following our last experience here in September we would not be going back. After being promised a H/S pitch when we booked we found that the ones that we were expecting to use had already been filled and we were allocated a slot between the entrance gate and the house. As there is a farm shop on the premises there was a regular succession of vehicles in and out passing right by our "pitch" during the day. We made it plain to the owner that we were not satisfied and that we would be leaving earlier than booked. To give him his due, when I went to pay he again apologies and refused to take any payment for the nights that we stayed.

[Image: IMG_20171024_095804.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20171024_095736.jpg]
The earth has music for those who will listen,”

I have to say that I have sympathy with Nellie on this one. I have been using Goose Slade Farm for several years, and have always recommended it, but in recent times have had some concerns. The owner does appear to have some problem with counting and does need to be careful. However my greater concerns are more basic. The site does suffer from poor or slow drainage, which is made much worse by the fact that the grass is left too long. More frequent cutting would encourage the grass to suck up more moisture and allow the sun to do its work.
The single water point is located on one of the pitches so the occupier of that pitch must suffer frequent disturbance.
On the positive side the owner is friendly, helpful and anxious to please. I have pointed these issues out so hopefully...........

TF
Thanks for that TF. It may be that there will be improvements next year, as the site owner did say that he had intended to put in some H/S in the field but hadn't managed to get round to it yet.
You were also right about his ability to count as one night there were as many as 8 occupied units scattered around the property, one on the field, 3 in the small H/S area adjacent to the field, one by the side of the shop, a couple round the far side of the house and ourselves.
The earth has music for those who will listen,”