Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bulldog and Alko .. Together
Talking to one of my fellow caravan buddies at work the other day. He is very new to the Game and absolutely loves it. He's heading south this year Dorset and Cornwall and has been advised from a caravanning neighbour to purchase a Bulldog Stabiliser giving him added stability with his already fitted Alko in place. His concern being motorway driving and being buffeted by overtaking trucks and white van type Sprinter vans. I told him his ALKO would easily be safe enough but is sticking to his guns.. What do you think ?  Huh
It depends on his rig, GAS. We had one set-up that suffered badly from the side draught of passing lorries on m/ways and we used the blade stabiliser as well as the Alko - no ATC at that time. With other rigs the Alko has been sufficient, especially those fitted with ATC.

I think your mate should try it first to see if he feels he needs the second stabiliser.

To be content with the decisions you’ve made, the lifestyle you lead and the friends you have is success beyond measure.
I agree. I am currently towing with an Alko stabiliser and ATC, but the truth is that before my latest change I towed an Avondate Osprey and a Coachman 520/4 both without ATC and only stabilised by the ALKO. I was never worried by HGV's or large white vans in those days either. I never liked the horrible creaky bulldog and was very happy when the ALKO hitch became available.

TF
Together I think is overkill and could have a detrimental effect on the hitch setup.
All ALKO's and Winterhoffs have their friction pads around the equator of the ball, so it stabilises sideways and also with pitching, and later ALKO's have four pads against the earlier two. What is not known is whether the friction force is on par, better or worse than with a Bulldog, but the two together could have an adverse affect on mechanical stress of the towball bolts, hitch bolts etc. I don't have a problem with my Winterhoff on its own with passing vehicles.

My opinion and could be wrong Angel
-------------------------------------------------------------
OUR TRAVELS: http://trailsandways.weebly.com/
I'm aware of that theory, Dave, and all I can say is that it worked for us with the blade stabiliser set to minimum action.

We were towing with a Disco2 with air suspension and it was before LR used the automatic trailer stability program. We had two T/A vans during that time and needed the extra stabiliser with both.

We never had a problem other than when towing with the Disco and never needed the second stabiliser again with either Alko or Winterhoff hitches.

To be content with the decisions you’ve made, the lifestyle you lead and the friends you have is success beyond measure.
(16-01-2017, 01:55 PM)Tinwheeler Wrote: I'm aware of that theory, Dave, and all I can say is that it worked for us with the blade stabiliser set to minimum action.

We were towing with a  Disco2 with air suspension and it was before LR used the automatic trailer stability program. We had two T/A vans during that time and needed the extra stabiliser with both.

We never had a problem other than when towing with the Disco and never needed the second stabiliser again with either Alko or Winterhoff hitches.

That's it Tinny, if it worked for you it's good Yep
As the mate of Gas is only concerned at what might happen, I would not do an overkill in trying to make a solid(ish) connection, but if it proved to be a nightmare trip then look into possible solutions.
-------------------------------------------------------------
OUR TRAVELS: http://trailsandways.weebly.com/
(16-01-2017, 02:09 PM)DaveFL2 Wrote:
(16-01-2017, 01:55 PM)Tinwheeler Wrote: I'm aware of that theory, Dave, and all I can say is that it worked for us with the blade stabiliser set to minimum action.

We were towing with a  Disco2 with air suspension and it was before LR used the automatic trailer stability program. We had two T/A vans during that time and needed the extra stabiliser with both.

That's it Tinny, if it worked for you it's good Yep
As the mate of Gas is only concerned at what might happen, I would not do an overkill if it may not be needed, but if it proved to be a nightmare trip then look into possible solutions.

That's exactly my thinking and why I suggested he tries his outfit first.  Yep

he's wasting his money, Alko is all he needs
Will pass on your comments Troops. I have never had any issues with the Alko when towing apart from the usual pad wear and tear.. Thank you for your comments..... Yep
We still have our old Bulldog in the shed!! Not used it in over 7 years now!

We currently tow at around 93% and the Alko & ATC work a dream - never had an issue.
Riggers - 2020 Swift Celebrate Super QEB & 2019 Volvo S90.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go - others whenever they go!" - Oscar Wilde.