Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel Cars To Be Banned?
The Supreme Court has ordered the British government to boost its fight against air pollution, which could lead to drivers of diesel cars facing higher road taxes and daily charges to enter city centres.

The five justices unanimously ruled on 29 April that the government must submit new air quality plans to the European Commission "no later" than 31 December.

The case was brought five years ago by environmental group ClientEarth over the UK's "admitted and continuing" failure to comply with limits for nitrogen dioxide under the EU's air quality directive.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/diesel-cars-cou...ng-1499044

Bit worried when I read this.

We've got 2 lovely diesel Land Rovers......

They wouldn't, would they?

Huh Cry
bunny  We Live In A Rainbow Of Chaos, I'm Chasing The Carrot At The End Of The Tunnel bunny
I would imagine if it was to happen it would take a while, particularly with the current Government's stance against being told what to do by Europe etc.
Besides I hope not, I like my Diesel
I think this will happen in the long run although it would be impossible to introduce without a long run in period. It would need such a long period of notice if it wasn't to cost the government a fortune in compensation payments to promote drivers to switch. Still is a big worry for caravanners - vans would need to become a lot lighter if we all aren't about to start driving V6/V8's!!
Riggers - 2022 Elddis Chatsworth 185 Motorhome

"Some cause happiness wherever they go - others whenever they go!" - Oscar Wilde.

If and when it comes it won't affect all diesels but only those that don't meet Euro 5 or Euro 6 engines emissions criteria.

(09-05-2015, 08:00 PM)Riggers Wrote: It would need such a long period of notice if it wasn't to cost the government a fortune in compensation payments to promote drivers to switch. Still is a big worry for caravanners - vans would need to become a lot lighter if we all aren't about to start driving V6/V8's!!

Why would the government face compensation payments? I can't see any legal obligation for them to do so.
Car: 2016 BMW X4 30d
Caravan: 2008 Dethleffs Beduin 545V
(11-05-2015, 07:52 AM)Lutz Wrote: If and when it comes it won't affect all diesels but  only those that don't meet Euro 5 or Euro 6 engines emissions criteria.

(09-05-2015, 08:00 PM)Riggers Wrote: It would need such a long period of notice if it wasn't to cost the government a fortune in compensation payments to promote drivers to switch. Still is a big worry for caravanners - vans would need to become a lot lighter if we all aren't about to start driving V6/V8's!!

Why would the government face compensation payments? I can't see any legal obligation for them to do so.

There is no legal requirement to do so but any government looking to ban diesel vehicles would have to phase this in and the only way to achieve a faster phase in period would be to encourage people to change. There is a precedent for this when the government introduced a scrappage allowance to help generate new car sales. Any party would need to tread very carefully over banning diesel cars after previous Chancellors have introduced legislation including company car benefits to promote the use of diesel vehicles.
Riggers - 2022 Elddis Chatsworth 185 Motorhome

"Some cause happiness wherever they go - others whenever they go!" - Oscar Wilde.

There was no phase-in period here on the Continent when older diesels were banned from entering certain cities. However, owners, particularly of diesel engined commercial vehicles who could prove that their business was at stake, could claim exemption during the first year of the tighter emissions enforcement. Some diesels could also be retrofitted with particulate filters, thereby bringing them up to standard and avoiding scrappage or having to sell affected vehicles in other regions where the ban is not in effect.
Car: 2016 BMW X4 30d
Caravan: 2008 Dethleffs Beduin 545V
I wonder how haulage and bus companies will deal with this?
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
(11-05-2015, 10:34 PM)slaphead Wrote: I wonder how haulage and bus companies will deal with this?

Well the diesel engine is the workhorse of those particular industries - so presumably more would need to be done about cleaning up their emissions?

We have a Defender with a Ford Transit Diesel engine. It has an "EGR Valve" - which apparently recycles exhaust gases a second time to reduce emissions in line with some EU Directive.

Just had to have it replaced after only 31,000 miles! 
bunny  We Live In A Rainbow Of Chaos, I'm Chasing The Carrot At The End Of The Tunnel bunny
Must have been as a result of all that driving round Bugs Towers, Sir Mick. Big Grin
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
(12-05-2015, 08:48 PM)slaphead Wrote: Must have been as a result of all that driving round Bugs Towers, Sir Mick. Big Grin

Actually, I think one's footmen have been borrowing the Landy without permission when one has been away on business  7 LoL