Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mount Snowdon
(10-02-2017, 11:07 AM)Tinwheeler Wrote: AlfiesDad said they would have to use the train so I don't think walking is an option.

Just seen this, shame as the way I have described is so beautiful and it is known as the tourist trail. Just may be the dad thinks climbing a mountain will involve ropes, etc? Most certainly not on this route.

Go onto googles maps, put in the pass and follow the track for yourself.  
We've been up Snowden a few times now but never stayed in the area. We tend to stay in Anglesey or round Porthmadog if we're in that part of North Wales. Just personal preference I suppose but I'm not keen on the llanberis/beddgelert area.

How long will you be staying around there? There's a lot to do
Never grow a wishbone where your backbone ought to be  
(10-02-2017, 01:23 AM)AlfiesDad Wrote: I would like to take AlfiesMum and two 14yr old grandsons up Mount Snowden this sumer, grandsons also like cycling, both have mountain bikes, plus of course Alfie will be with us. Any suggestions greatly received.

We would have to use the train to go up and down Yep

My sister and I did the train ride up a good few years ago. It takes a lot longer than you think as it clanks up, and the seats, unless they have been changed are not built for comfort! Didn't have the dogs with us, so can't comment on whether or not they can travel. I do recall knee space was tight! It's a great trip though, especially past Crib Goch. A lady had fallen off there and was badly injured day before we went up, terrifying route. View from top on a clear day is wonderful, but expect hoards of people, we had to queue to get to summit! 

OH and I walked up years ago, Watkin Path. We didn't reach the summit that time, the weather changed and we decided to head back down, it's an unforgiving place. 

The best site for dogs and teenagers without a doubt in Snowdonia is Beddgelert, Camping in the Forest (C&CC) cycle tracks galore, walks galore, wildlife galore, pubs in village, it's even got its own station for Welsh Highland Railway! It won't be cheap, but it is worth every penny!
In our home, dog fur is a fashion accessory! It's also a condiment....... Yay!  Heart
OH is off up there tonight with his climbing/walking mates. I'll be glad to see him home safe - he's clumsy at the moment
Not Crib Goch or Tryfan I hope! Frighten me to death just thinking about them! Gasp
In our home, dog fur is a fashion accessory! It's also a condiment....... Yay!  Heart
One of them I believe. Sad

They do it every year. Biggish group with loads of experience but I hate these weekends
Oh dear Jay, my sympathies. My OH used to disappear with his fire service chums to walk mountains, I used to quake at home waiting for the phone call! Now he just does hair raising cycle rides, when fit. Will be a while, I have a period of respite.
Beddgelert Forestry Site has it's own Railway Station, might be an option AD, could have cycle trails in the Forest, check it out on the CCC Web Site
AlfieD, just been looking at website. Bit of a logistical nightmare for you with dog and a limited walking member of party. If I recall, even when you get off train, it is still a bit of a pull up to summit. You only get a half hour as well, before you have to go back down on train.
Thanks to all for your very helpful suggestions thumbup

A bit more thinking is obviously required, I didnt realise that Alfie wouldnt be able to come, my daughter has offered to take him for a week, but think I would get withdrawal symptoms being without him.
Maybe have to go up Snowden with just the boys and take AlfiesMum at a later date, the view certainly looks worth the effort and wouldn't bore you a second time around. Undecided  Also didn't realise  that there was a time restriction at the top, the more I think about it, it may be worth a preliminary venture  with the boys to get a good idea of what to expect, ask a few questions etc.
I gave my dog love..... And he became my friend for life   Cool