Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations for Pembrokeshire sites please
Oneput, Only just picked this one up and it is 0100 now. Will reply properly later today! Have some ideas & recommendations for you!

TF
Thanks TF, will be appreciated. One thing we would like to do is visit Skomer but I guess we will have to book in advance and take a chance with the weather
A bird doesn't sing because it has the answer, it sings because it has a song
Letterston CL named Midland, Redlands Cara Park nr Haverfordwest, Creampots Cara Park nr Little Haven, Hillcroft CL @ Kilgetty, Caerfai Bay Cara Park @ St. Davids, CC Site @ St. Davids, there are many more nice sites but its what sort of holiday, the sites around St.Davids are great if you like Surfing, and not too far from Fishguard, visit Strumble Head to Seal spot, pass the first car park and go through a cutting, there is another area where you can park, not many people know about this. If their kids are old enough they can go Coasteering @ Abereiddy, there is also a spectacular coastal walk from Abereiddy to Portgain, on reaching Porthgain that has a lovely Harbour and a lot of History then have lunch in "The Sloop" we regularly visit there, and was only there last Tuesday. other places to visit, are Broad haven, Solva, Nolton Haven, Newgale, I could go on, ps. I do not work for the Pembrokeshire Tourist Office, but spent many years as a kid in Saundersfoot as my parents had a static there in the 1950's, I nearly forgot a smashing CL @ Simpsons Cross nr Haverfordwest
Gosh thanks Admiral. Lots to go at there. We have rarely been to Wales apart from Cardiff when our daughter was at Uni there. I will investigate and make some suggestions to our son and DIL when they come over this week. Many thanks
Retirement is relentless. Rolleyes
Oneputt - And Millihull, I'm getting confused now, but have concluded that both of you are interested in the Pembrokeshire area. My mate the Admiral has done and admiral job of recommending places to stay, so I would only add to that list Heath cottage Jameston Nr Tenby page546 on the 15/16 year book. There is too of course, the CC club site at Freshwater East. Good site but tends to be very busy in the summer season - stick to the CLs if possible.
The West Pembrokeshire area falls naturally into two distinct sub areas. The section which stretches from Amroth/Wisemans Bridge, through Saundersfoot and Tenby to Manorbeir, then the Stackpole estate including Broadhaven, stack Rocks and the Castlemartin Ranges, through to Pembroke & Pembroke Dock and Carew castle and Lawrenny Quay. We have found that area is best visited by staying in the Kilgetty and Jameston locations.
The second area is effectively North of the Cleddau estuary, stretching around the Coast from Milford Haven to St Davids. Beautiful area with again some stunning walks. Make sure that you include Solva on your list of places to visit, - but please don't try to tow through there!
I can recommend a visit to Skomer Island, Oneputt, and yes its best pre booked, but only by a couple of days, - not months. The boat used to go from Martin's haven Nr Wooltack point (my favourite place). That in turn is near the lovely beaches at Marloes.

So I would recommend a second base for this area of West Pembokshire using either the CC Club site at St Davids or a CL in the area between St Davids or Haverfordwest. The relatively large town of Haverfordwest is very nice in itself, but also offers a nice refuge on the wet days!
You will fall in love with the area is all quite beautiful and offers differing experiences from busy but but great locations such as Tenby and Saundersfoot, wild and Windy Coastal walks, and the quite but lovely areas like Solva, St Davids etc.
Please try to visit my other favourite place of Lawrenny, which was once a seaplane base in the second world war but is now a secluded yacht basin but has a great local cafe/restaurant offering great service and even greater food!

Enjoy!

TF
Pembrokeshire is lovely. Far too long since we last visited.
In our home, dog fur is a fashion accessory! It's also a condiment....... Yay!  Heart
I've dug out a couple of photos, the lovely sunset was taken from the C&CC site, the sun does shine in Wales! The other is one of the many very quiet beaches, this one was near Strumble Head. Another thing worth seeing in the area is welsh weaving, Melin Tregwynt is in a beautiful valley not too far from St Davids and you can see the looms working. If you want to visit Skomer there is a non ehu CL within walking distance of the ferry, just outside Marloes village. Have visited friends when they stayed there. Hope I'm not treading on TF's toes as it must be a so familiar!
https://melintregwynt.co.uk/
[Image: ellis_pembroke_cardigan_2009_061.jpg]

[Image: ellis_pembroke_cardigan_2009_057.jpg]
[Image: beaches.jpg]

Near one of the places on my earlier post
[Image: images_1.jpg]
Mermaid Spotting at Broad Haven
Well West Wales really has everything!  Wink