Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Ripoff
GAS not sure its the greedy oil companies, more like greedy governments
A bird doesn't sing because it has the answer, it sings because it has a song
(19-05-2017, 04:28 AM)Grumpy Auld Smeesh Wrote: Right ! I have asked this question on a few Forums over the years If a litre of petrol is £1.19.9 and aI buy one litre of fuel and give the forecourt attendant £1.20 I am due change I am not ? This point nine of a pence business is in my eyes is illegal if you cannot get the exact change ... Maybe I'm just being daft but I find it annoying especially when the greedy oil companies have been fleecing us for years....

How can you be given 1/10th of a penny change, there is no way of giving you that change. Why not just round up your fuel needs to £1.20-no change needed. You are part of the problem when the solution is in your own hands Yep
A life without a Dog is no life at all, I always choose life.
It's simple. The seller is not obliged to give change and it's up to the buyer to pay the right money.

To be content with the decisions you’ve made, the lifestyle you lead and the friends you have is success beyond measure.
Yes, but in fairness Grumpy has a point! I have long believed that all manufacturers and suppliers should not be permitted to advertise any commodity at a price that you simply cannot pay. i.e Fuel at £1. 14.9 per Litre is really £1.15 and should be advertised as such.

The same goes for Airlines etc that will only accept a booking on line, through a credit or debit card, and then charge a fee for accepting your payment.

All of these types of de facto hidden costs should be outlawed. Let us have open and honest advertising in respect of the true cost of commodities.

TF
(19-05-2017, 11:37 AM)Tigerfish Wrote: Yes, but in fairness Grumpy has a point!  I have long believed that all manufacturers and suppliers should not be permitted to advertise any commodity at a price that you simply cannot pay.  i.e Fuel at £1. 14.9 per Litre is really £1.15  and should be advertised as such.

The same goes for Airlines etc that will only accept a booking on line, through a credit or debit card, and then charge a fee for accepting your payment.

All of these types of de facto hidden costs should be outlawed.  Let us have open and honest advertising in respect of  the true cost of commodities.

TF

TF, in my experience paying by Debit Card incurs no charges. Paying by Credit Card does. I believe that is down to the Credit Card companys levy a charge on the supplier for accepting our cards. Just use a Debit Card as I do. Better yet-if folk don't use the greedy ones they will drop the practice. I use cash as little as I possibly can, 1/10th of a penny bothers me not one jot & I dare say the majority of folk feel the same.
If they fuel companies were made to round prices to a full penny ( and I don't think they should be made to) they would always go up to the next one and not down so leave it as it is the 0.1p off is better than the alternative rise.....just buy more than 10 litres at a time so the penny is yours.
H

Living with Parkinson’s and exercising the brain and body to hold it at bay

(19-05-2017, 07:40 AM)Happydaze Wrote:
(19-05-2017, 04:28 AM)Grumpy Auld Smeesh Wrote: Right ! I have asked this question on a few Forums over the years If a litre of petrol is £1.19.9 and aI buy one litre of fuel and give the forecourt attendant £1.20 I am due change I am not ? This point nine of a pence business is in my eyes is illegal if you cannot get the exact change ... Maybe I'm just being daft but I find it annoying especially when the greedy oil companies have been fleecing us for years....

How can you be given 1/10th of a penny change, there is no way of giving you that change. Why not just round up your fuel needs to £1.20-no change needed. You are part of the problem when the solution is in your own hands Yep

Eh ? Huh Why am I part of the problem ? It's the Oil Companies that fix the pricing or garage owners ?? 113.7 for Derv up here at the moment ... .7 of a pence is not currency ...
(22-05-2017, 06:18 AM)Grumpy Auld Smeesh Wrote:

Eh ? Huh Why am I part of the problem ? It's the Oil Companies that fix the pricing or garage owners ??  113.7 for Derv up here at the moment ... .7 of a pence is not currency ...

I pay by card-no problem created. You know it winds you up but continue to allow it to wind you up-yes problem. There's enough out there to get stressed over without bringing 3/10ths of a penny into it.
(22-05-2017, 06:56 AM)Happydaze Wrote:
(22-05-2017, 06:18 AM)Grumpy Auld Smeesh Wrote:

Eh ? Huh Why am I part of the problem ? It's the Oil Companies that fix the pricing or garage owners ??  113.7 for Derv up here at the moment ... .7 of a pence is not currency ...

I pay by card-no problem created. You know it winds you up but continue to allow it to wind you up-yes problem. There's enough out there to get stressed over without bringing 3/10ths of a penny into it.

Think you need to read my original post again Happy D. It certainly does not wind me up and it certainly is not a problem I Created . I'm just curious and no one yet has convinced if its legal or illegal .... As you stated you cannot pay 1/10th in change so illegal in my eyes. So why don't the Oil companies just round it off to the nearest pence and all insist on a fraction of a pence ??
I think it's very unlikely to be illegal, GAS, as it would have been pounced on long before now. We all know they do it to create the illusion that fuel is actually cheaper than it is.

I don't see a problem and buy my fuel in round figures in terms of £s. I don't recall ever trying to buy it in litres so I've never lost out. In fact, it could be argued that I take full advantage of the reduction of 0.1 or 0.3p per litre and make it work for me.

To be content with the decisions you’ve made, the lifestyle you lead and the friends you have is success beyond measure.