Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations?
Good afternoon. We are thinking of spending a few days in the caravan in the peak district, can anybody recommend a good site in that area?
Hi BD, I've only been to Buxton and Castleton, but can recommend both.
Both are within walking distance from town, with Castleton being the shortest walk. A warning, if you walk to Buxton, it's uphill all the way back!!!
Buxton has a much better dog walk, being next to a park.
Castleton's dog walk is dreadful, but serves the purpose if you're pushed
There are good eateries in both towns, also, if required, Bus stops in sight of gate at Castleton and a short walk away at Buxton.
Hope this helps, PM me if you like thumbup
A dog is for life..... Not just for Lockdown
(26-02-2018, 02:42 PM)AlfiesDad Wrote: Hi BD, I've only been to Buxton and Castleton, but can recommend both.
Both are within walking distance from town, with Castleton being the shortest walk. A warning, if you walk to Buxton, it's uphill all the way back!!!
Buxton has a much better dog walk, being next to a park.
Castleton's dog walk is dreadful, but serves the purpose if you're pushed
There are good eateries in both towns, also, if required, Bus stops in sight of gate at Castleton and a short walk away at Buxton.
Hope this helps, PM me if you like thumbup
Thanks for the recommendation AD, had a look at both on you tube, both look nice but Buxton looks nicer, seems to have what you would want from a club site.
Just checked the web site, they are closed until August for a re-furb.
Can endorse how bad the dog walk is at Castleton, in fact one of reasons we stopped going. Shame 'cos it's a nice site. Not easy anyway in Peak District, as it's crawling with sheep.

There is of course Chatsworth CAMC, if you can get the dates you want. Haven't been to site, but area is nice, plenty to see and do. We use a CL over at Cromford called Splash Farm, very nice, but no loos or showers, depends what you need. Great for dogs though. Couple of miles from Matlock. There is a review and pictures on here, under England Site reviews.
In our home, dog fur is a fashion accessory! It's also a condiment....... Yay!  Heart
(26-02-2018, 03:16 PM)Takethedogalong Wrote: Can endorse how bad the dog walk is at Castleton, in fact one of reasons we stopped going. Shame 'cos it's a nice site. Not easy anyway in Peak District, as it's crawling with sheep.

There is of course Chatsworth CAMC, if you can get the dates you want. Haven't been to site, but area is nice, plenty to see and do. We use a CL over at Cromford called Splash Farm, very nice, but no loos or showers, depends what you need. Great for dogs though. Couple of miles from Matlock. There is a review and pictures on here, under England Site reviews.
Thanks TDA  we have a shower in the van but i like loo and shower facilities on site.
Blackshaw moor in Leek is quite a good location. Both clubs have sites there.
Never grow a wishbone where your backbone ought to be  
Moor Edge farm CL at Crich near Matlock comes highly recommended, BD. Worth a look?
You don't have to a have a dog in your life - but it certainly helps!
(26-02-2018, 04:29 PM)moulesy Wrote: Moor Edge farm CL at Crich near Matlock comes highly recommended, BD. Worth a look?

I have to say there are some lovely sites around that area. Thanks for all the recommendations.
The CAMC site at Carsington Water looks nice although we've only visited, never stayed there. We DID stay next door at Carsington Fields though - lots of room for dog walking but not much hard standing as I recall. Facilities are very nice & there is a good path for cycling/walking round the Water itself.
My blog of our travels with & without the caravan: http://v2.travelark.org/traveller/blackpoolbelle