Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wow, didn't know this was possible!
I had no idea this was possible. Heartwarming story.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-...ting-blood
In our home, dog fur is a fashion accessory! It's also a condiment....... Yay!  Heart
Me neither, as you say heartwarming, not sure Bella could keep still long enough.
H

Living with Parkinson’s and exercising the brain and body to hold it at bay. Static at Flambrough

(10-04-2018, 11:52 AM)HughR Wrote: Me neither, as you say heartwarming, not sure Bella could keep still long enough.

Nor me. Not sure how Flyte would react to the operation, myself. I wonder how the charity found the right dogs for the blood donation.
The earth has music for those who will listen,”

We've got a few donors on the books for emergency needs. One has donated several times. Blood transfusions occur quite rarely at the sharp end and tend to be last resort but always appreciated
Never grow a wishbone where your backbone ought to be  
(11-04-2018, 05:37 PM)Jay Wrote: We've got a few donors on the books for emergency needs.  One has donated several times. Blood transfusions occur quite rarely at the sharp end and tend to be last resort but always appreciated

How do you suss out a dog that would make a suitable donor? Do you have to match blood types, as one has to do with we humans?

Fascinating stuff. How long does it actually take to draw off say a litre (or is that too much?)
In our home, dog fur is a fashion accessory! It's also a condiment....... Yay!  Heart
It's only in real emergencies that whole blood is given - only when all other avenues have been exhausted. No matching or typing at all for a first transfusion. All you need is a big dog. A litre is way too much to take and it doesn't take long to fill a bag. There's no storage for future use. Second transfusions of unmatched blood aren't going to happen

It's a one chance measure which is carried out for desperately ill animals and there's no time for matching or typing or waiting for a courier to travel 150 miles.

Procedures will probably differ in places close to a blood bank but for the majority of vets I'd guess it's a fairly rare occurrence
Never grow a wishbone where your backbone ought to be  
Thanks Jay, all very interesting. I thought after I had typed that a litre would be too much to take.
Thanks, Jay. Most interesting.