Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the future.
Where do Members see the future of caravans and Motorhomes with the demise of Diesel cars. I tow an Elegance 580 with a Range rover. I would struggle with a smaller car. Is this to be the end of caravanning in the future and how is this impacting on caravan manufactures. My caravan is a 2015 model. I have previously changed the caravan about every 3 years. But now I am reluctant to change unless because what I buy in practice will have to be towed with an Electric car or Hybrid both have a very low towing limit comments would be. Appreciated
(10-01-2019, 07:57 PM)layton1837 Wrote: Where do Members see the future of caravans and Motorhomes with the demise of Diesel cars. I tow an Elegance 580 with a Range rover. I would struggle with a smaller car. Is this to be the end of caravanning in the future and how is this impacting on caravan manufactures. My caravan is a 2015 model. I have previously changed the caravan about every 3 years. But now I am reluctant to change unless because what I buy in practice will have to be towed with an Electric car or Hybrid both have a very low towing limit comments would be. Appreciated

layton, how long do you keep your car for? There will be plenty of diesel fuel for the foreseeable future. There's no way that all the diesel lorries will be replaced by ones capable of running on electric for probably the next 20 yrs at least so there will be diesel fuel available for that long too.
The earth has music for those who will listen,”

I have just bought a new Diesel! For me there was simply no real choice. We are both getting old and wrinkly now and sadly last year took the decision to cease caravanning. Its really too late to buy a MH now although I haven't given up on the idea of the occasional hire!
So we sold our big 3 litre Mercedes ML and looked for a smaller alternative. I have enjoyed motoring all my life and in the 57 years I have been driving have covered 1.25 million miles. But part of that joy was the ability to fill up the car and travel about 500 miles without needing to stop again to refuel. One thing I have always demanded from my cars was long range!
But the new generation of Hybrid and especially the pure electric cars simply cannot do that. A neighbour recently sold his electric car because he had to pre plan his journeys carefully to re charge the car after less than 100 miles. Intolerable. I do accept that they will improve in years to come, - but not in the few years that I have left to drive!

So diesel it had to be! A 2 Litre Euro 6 Diesel BMW X1 ordered with the optional larger fuel tank, giving me a range of over that specified 500 miles! We can still enjoy our travels !

TF