Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom caravan build
The caravan body is being built on top of existing 750kg single axle trailer. This means a limited space and weight. Due to this i have designed what i would consider to be a compact caravan that would likely be used mainly for touring. Within the limited space i have tried to include as many creature comforts as possible. Of course there are areas which are not perfect but considering the compact size its perfectly suitable. The caravan is designed souly as a two berth in terms of bedding as it was not appropriate to increase this due to the restricted space. However there is just enough space for two people to sit side by side at the table meaning 4 can dine if required. It could also be possible to add attachment capabilities for an awning allowing for further occupancy. As far as a tv is concerned it would be possible to fit one to the front bathroom wall above the bench however i would not think this to be necessary for a compact touring caravan in most cases.
To attempt to include so many creature comforts as shown in your layout on a 750kg chassis is challenging to say the least, even if the caravan is only a two berth. I would imagine that such a design could only be realised using the very lightest of materials, even for structural purposes. Allowing for a payload of let's say 100kg, which is about what one can reasonably expect as a minimum for a commercial 2 berth, I would estimate that such a layout to require a 900kg chassis at the very minimum, maybe even 1100kg to be on the safe side.
I don't know of any proprietary caravan of 750kg with nearly as many creature comforts as what is intended here. Knaus, for instance, in their ultralight range of similarly well-equipped (except for an oven) Travelino caravans, have had to resort to a fibre structural framework, high strength bonding of panels instead of using metal fasteners, and a non-standard low weight axle, and even then its unladen weight is already 750kg.
Of course, as soon as you go over 750kg, then a overrun braking system becomes necessary, too.
Car: 2016 BMW X4 30d
Caravan: 2008 Dethleffs Beduin 545V
It’s like a teardrop on steroids Smile

I’m really interested in micro builds as my car won’t tow much and for various reasons I can’t use our tow car if I want to go away on my own.

I looked at converting an old trailer a few years back and I used the old 70s two berths as reference material. It was truly staggering what was fitted inside some of them. In the end I gave up as my ‘must haves’ made the plan tricky and I ended up with unusuable space or shoe horning a dinette or seating in which I absolutely didn’t want.

Keep sharing your progress. It’s really interesting
Never grow a wishbone where your backbone ought to be  
I remember seeing an "interesting" unit at the Scottish Caravan Show last year, the Swift Basecamp. It seems to meet your design objectives but still weighs about 900kg with another 100kg for users stuff in the maximum design weight. I think you will find it difficult to get your build down to below 700kg to allow a bare minimum 50kg of users stuff.

The nose weight is 100kg which seems quie a large percentage of the total weight - the recomendation being 70% - even though the hob/grill/oven is placed right at the very back.
Navigator

Land Rover - making mechanics out of drivers since 1948.
(06-03-2019, 12:19 PM)Navigator Wrote: The nose weight is 100kg which seems quie a large percentage of the total weight - the recomendation being 70% - even though the hob/grill/oven is placed right at the very back.

The 100kg is probably the noseweight limit, not the actual ex-works noseweight. 100kg is pretty standard for most caravan chassis except for the very heaviest ones which are rated at 150kg max.
Car: 2016 BMW X4 30d
Caravan: 2008 Dethleffs Beduin 545V