Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One for our Wild Life experts
Does anyone have any idea what has caused this effect on a Scots Pine tree, spotted yesterday?

[Image: IMG-20190512-130703-1.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190512-130703-3.jpg]
The earth has music for those who will listen,”

A very busy symmetry mad woodpecker?
H

Living with Parkinson’s and exercising the brain and body to hold it at bay. Static at Flambrough

I have seen something like this, we had Black Ants living in a pine tree and living off the sap that was coming from the small holes they made in the bark. then the woodpecker found out what was happening hence bigger holes, but still the ants kept up their work, in time the tree gave up and fell over, now firewood. On a warm day there are still lines of ants to be seen between trees
(13-05-2019, 08:50 PM)David from Suffolk Wrote: I have seen something like this, we had Black Ants living in a pine tree and living off the sap that was coming from the small holes they made in the bark. then the woodpecker found out what was happening hence bigger holes, but still the ants kept up their work, in time the tree gave up and fell over, now firewood. On a warm day there are still lines of ants to be seen between trees

Thanks for that David. There were lots of wood ants in the pine wood, although I didn't notice any on that particular tree. Another possible explanation that I was given was that under the bark were bugs which the woodpeckers had discovered and they had been trying to get them out by following their tracks up under the bark. It was the alignment of the holes that intrigued me.

Natures a wonderful thing! But it is mystifying, I think I follow Hugh's suggestion, a mad woodpecker would certainly cover it!

TF
Perhaps someone had a new drill for Christmas   Smile
I have googled this and some answers say that a woodpecker would make holes in lines ,but a bark beetle would make random holes ,buts it's odd  Huh
In life ,always have a plan B Dodgy
It would appear from the responses that it's Woodpecker work, but it's been a very busy chappie!!