Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windy weather
PHi Guys,

Just a quick question. I am travelling from Kent to Poole Dorset this weekend . With the weather forecast over the UK saying high gusts of wind would you tow your caravan?
Thank you
Martin
Frankly it depends on your rig! In 40 years of Caravanning I was always confident that my tow car, normally a Toyota Land Cruiser or latterly a Mercedes ML was man enough to cope with almost all conditions. That gave me great confidence but I would have never risked it otherwise.
I would never set off, without the confidence that I could cope with every eventuality.
I guess it depends on you and your experience at the end of the day!
Best wishes

TF
Hi , as TF says  its all depends on your outfit and confidence, only you can decide, but if you do then drop your speed ,better to take a bit longer to get there than not at all 
I take it that you would use the M26,M25and M3 ,that is a route I do quite often and the motorways are quite sheltered. But if you don't feel happy ,then best not ,there's always another time
In life ,always have a plan B Dodgy
M!Thank you guys for the reply.

TF my set up is a Toyota Estima pulling a Bailey-Pegasus 545. I am a confident tower but never towed in really high winds. I will be taking my time and lowering my speed but you just hear horror stories on other forums.

Thank you Husky, that is the route I will be taking.
Hi Martin

Welcome to CaravanChat!

As has been said above, this has to be a personal decision taking into account all the factors you can glean about the likely conditions.

Down where you are, the wind is generally forecast to be from S/SW - so for most of the journey it should be "on the nose" (as we sailing types say!) rather than from the side?

Weather warnings on tv/radio/internet often mention "high sided vehicles" as being particularly at risk if the wind speed reaches dangerous levels - which I've always also interpreted as a warning to caravanners!

We haven't got windy conditions here in the north east yet, but its been raining very heavily non-stop since the early hours of this morning. 

Good luck

Cheers
Bugs
bunny  We Live In A Rainbow Of Chaos, I'm Chasing The Carrot At The End Of The Tunnel bunny
(09-08-2019, 10:01 AM)Bugs Wrote: Hi Martin

Welcome to CaravanChat!

As has been said above, this has to be a personal decision taking into account all the factors you can glean about the likely conditions.

Down where you are, the wind is generally forecast to be from S/SW - so for most of the journey it should be "on the nose" (as we sailing types say!) rather than from the side?

Weather warnings on tv/radio/internet often mention "high sided vehicles" as being particularly at risk if the wind speed reaches dangerous levels - which I've always also interpreted as a warning to caravanners!

We haven't got windy conditions here in the north east yet, but its been raining very heavily non-stop since the early hours of this morning. 

Good luck

Cheers
Bugs

Thank Bugs

Beautiful sunshine here at the moment with slight wind. I think I will leave my decision until the morning.

Thank you so much for your help.

Martin
Agree with you MartinS. Make a decision in the morning. If the wind is heat on ou will use a lot of fuel if it is ide on can come in gusts and lorries overtaking don’t help. I would say if in doubt leave your journey till next day.

Dianne