Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bella has become very nervous
As some of you know Bella is our nearly four year old Border Collie who we got from the dogs trust when she was 12 weeks old. She’s a typical Border Collie and very active and has always been nervous with thunder, loud noises and the unexpected.
Recently she has got MUCH worse and regularly refuses to go on walks from the house resisting all attempts to leave the drive. The vets have checked her health including blood and urine tests and tried her on nervous/anxiety tablets with no success.
We have a local Border Collie expert trainer coming today to see what else can be done and to assess Bella. We can still exercise her but at the minute have to resort to taking her out in the car initially ( which she goes into willingly) and then parking up near a walk spot.
I’ll update you of progress with this, we can’t pinpoint what has triggered this change/worsening in her behaviour.

[Image: 5-E5169-A6-A2-D5-43-C6-B1-FE-C08-AE5998-C19.jpg]
H

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.
Clap

[Image: F87-D8-E85-CF62-4-FEA-A22-B-EEB3-CE24-EC53.jpg]
Once away from house as happy and active as ever
H

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.
Clap

Hi, have you changed or replaced anything in the house ?, we had a new washing machine and for a couple of months our dog was scared of it !!
In life ,always have a plan B Dodgy
Good thinking HD, can’t think of anything we’ve changed. One possibility is the house at the bottom of the road is having dormer bedrooms built with copious use of nail guns and electric tools. Hopefully thats coming to an end.
H

Clap

The building work down the road seems a definite possibility, Hugh. Two of our border collies are particularly sensitive to noise and do not react well to it. Up to now this has always been at the time of the "noise event" itself with no long term impact. Our other BC Jess is usually so laid back.....but in extreme noise her reaction is to bark at it.

The other possibility which crossed my mind was - have you had the extreme thunder and lightning which has happened recently? Cora & Dylan react badly to that and needed lots of cuddles and reassurance last week/weekend when we were inundated. They can even tell when its coming before it arrives! (change of air pressure or humidity perhaps??)

Can't replicate the "not leaving the house" situation as ours always go to Alnmouth or Boulmer beach each day in the car. They very rarely have walks in the village or wood - which we call "tick central!!".

Bugs
bunny  We Live In A Rainbow Of Chaos, I'm Chasing The Carrot At The End Of The Tunnel bunny
She has always been sensitive to thunder and is reacting the same ways, her refusing to leave the drive started before our recent run of thunderstorms so I think the building work is favoured for being the cause.
H

Clap

Sorry to hear this Hugh. I have a friend whose daughter had a building project going on next door to her house which totally traumatised her dog to such an extent that my friend had to have the dog living with her until the building work was finished.
Retirement is relentless. Rolleyes
Met the trainer who was very thorough and attentive to us initially and then with Bella. Diet and methods of feeding covered in detail as well as how we react to her. Then she watched us walk Bella round garden and we managed to get her off the drive and showed us techniques and tips to help.
We have a plan to work to and report back in 14 days. I’m just about to sit down and go through the handouts that we were given.
We are very optimistic and the food angle hadn’t twigged with us after we changed food a while ago, Bella appears more settled than before the trainers visit.
Thank you for all your support
H

Clap

Slightly off topic, Hugh, but similar: For the past week we have had Anne's bed downstairs, whilst awaiting a stairlift. This has completely freaked out our collie Lucy, to the extent that she will not now go near Anne, and is generally nervous around the house. Once outside she's fine. As Anne cannot go out just now, I don't know what Lucy would be like with her outside yet.
I can understand that her morning routine is upset, as she is allowed on Anne's bed while we have our morning drinks, but of course the bed is not there any more! The stairlift is being installed on Thursday, so hopefully all will return to normal, as Anne is also quite upset by this odd behaviour. If only we could read the dog's mind!
Watch this space!
Hope Lucy settles down and gets back to normal, good news this morning Bella has gone into the back garden like she used to and done her ‘check of the perimeter ‘ before coming back in for paws drying a good start
H

Clap