Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawthorne Cottage, Forest of Dean
This is a really good discovery! A small adults only site edging right on to the forest itself, halfway between Lydney to the south and Coleford to the north. Directions are easy to follow through the village of Sling to Clements End - just look out for the sign by the bus stop n the village. Don't be put off by the final 100 yards or so approach which looks as if it might end up in a builders yard, because once through this the way opens up into a delightful area bordered by very tall pines. 10 large hard standing pitches - some are a bit slopey and if, like us you're on the pitch at the top of the site you'll definitely need a mover to get onto it.
There are toilets (basic but clean and perfectly useable) and a shower (20p for a long hot shower!). (I think there are plans to demolish these and replace with more modern facilities.) Absolutely silent at night and no lighting to distract from the dark skies. TV reception is not good, but if that's important you can hire a freesat box from John for £1 a day. It's possible to walk direct onto forest tracks from the site itself and, obviously, plenty of walking just a short drive away. Symonds Yat is the main tourist attraction and well worth a visit as is the forest sculpture trail from Beechenhurst Lodge. For motorhomers who prefer, there is a bus stop right at the entrance, though I'm not sure of the frequency or destination of the buses. Shops in either Lydney (Tesco) or Coleford (Co-op). It's worth a drive to the nearby village of Newland for a meal at The Ostrich, a quirky old fashioned pub doing good food and real ales. At the moment the site fees are £14 a night for pitch + 2 adults - fantastic value when compared to all the other sites in the area. But it was full this week and I'm guessing you have to be lucky to get a pitch without booking well advance. Certainly worth the effort though!
You don't have to a have a dog in your life - but it certainly helps!
Thanks Moulesy. That sounds a good 'un for us, only an hour away, and we love the FoD.
It’s an area we need to visit and will certainly look at booking here. Thanks M
H

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.
Clap