Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Caravans
On one of our regular walks we pass a small holding and we have over a period being watching this Cotswold Caravan (I would guess late 80’s) slowly deteriorate. Such a shame and would make a great restoration project for someone.

[Image: FBD52-CA6-F8-FC-4-DB7-9-C14-4357294-D3-E8-B.jpg]
Riggers - 2020 Swift Celebrate Super QEB & 2019 Volvo S90.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go - others whenever they go!" - Oscar Wilde.

What a shame yes it could be lovely with a loving restoration Riggers.
For info on Touring in Europe go to http://www.joysofeuropeancaravanning.co.uk
Riggers, Anne and I are members of the Retro Caravan Club UK, and have been involved with old caravans for well over 30 years now. In fact our "posh" caravan is a 1979 Royale, and our camper van is a 1987 Talbot. We also have a 1978 French Dragoner under restoration.
Collecting and restoring old caravans is a huge hobby all over Europe, attracting over 200 vans to our European Classic Caravan Rally every year.
Sadly, though, that Windrush sort of falls through the cracks! Whilst it qualifies for Retro membership (just about) by age it simply isn't interesting enough to be a collectors dream. It also fails because it is too old for non-Retro caravanners, who appear to want as modern as they can afford.
It is a shame to see it deteriorate, but believe me, there are many thousands of vans like that all over Europe.
Unfortunately, I cannot collect them all!
Not only collect them all Emmerson but work on them all I should imagine. Such a shame though for what a very desirable caravan in its day.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go - others whenever they go!" - Oscar Wilde.

(02-05-2020, 03:52 PM)Riggers Wrote: Not only collect them all Emmerson but work on them all I should imagine. Such a shame though for what a very desirable caravan in its day.

Indeed it was, Riggers, and still could be today, if it weren't for the "must have latest" trend in life today.
I know that folk can spend their hard-earned cash on whatever they want, but it does grieve me to see useable kit like that Windrush go to waste.
My "must have" caravan is the one I am using at the moment, and it is 12 years old. It will become "retro" in time and I do hope very little restoring will be needed with it in continual use.

[ Just in case anyone starts thinking I am touring around. I'm not. It is parked in the yard at the back of my house and is set up as my office and "Zoom booth". ]
Navigator

Land Rover - making mechanics out of drivers since 1948.
At least you are getting use out of your caravan thumbup
For info on Touring in Europe go to http://www.joysofeuropeancaravanning.co.uk
(03-05-2020, 08:20 AM)Navigator Wrote: My "must have" caravan is the one I am using at the moment, and it is 12 years old.  It will become "retro" in time and I do hope very little restoring will be needed with it in continual use.

[ Just in case anyone starts thinking I am touring around. I'm not.  It is parked in the yard at the back of my house and is set up as my office and "Zoom booth". ]

I wish mine was on the drive in front of the house - I would have been using it occasionally as my office for a change of scene!!

Crikey Riggers, that Cotswold is identical to one we sold on some six years ago! Although the one we sold was going to Norfolk, but you never know......

They are fantastically well built caravans, quality robust fixtures and fittings. Agree with Emmersons assessment, too young for true Classic status, bit old for most folks looking for a bargain.

We found ours on a farm in Quorn. It was being used as accommodation for someone who worked abroad a lot but needed a temporary base in UK. It hadn’t rolled a wheel in eight years. We got it as seen for a mere £400. Owner threw in his toaster and kettle for that as well. When we went back to fetch it home, we took new wheels, and a full set of lightbulbs. We changed wheels for safety, but when we plugged it into car electrics, every single bulb worked perfectly! It had a bit of damp, but nothing major, so we cured that, gave it a bit of TLC and a good clean up, redecorated inside, laid new carpet, retiled bathroom floor with vinyl tiles, bought throws for dated seats (excellent interiors but dated coverings) hauled it down to our favourite farm in Cornwall, and it lived down there for six years, occasionally coming home for a bit of TLC. It owed us nothing. We sold it on for £800 when we got our MH. We still however have our original Cotswold Windrush van. Owned and loved, dates from 1984, we bought it in 1996.
In our home, dog fur is a fashion accessory! It's also a condiment....... Yay!  Heart
Excellent bit of history TDA. If I had the time and somewhere to store the van to do some restoration I would probably love doing it with my son as a project. My son and daughter in law could then use it as a away into caravanning themselves.