Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I fill it?
Don’t laugh but embarrassingly I’ve got a very basic Motorhome question!
After 40 years of Caravanning we sold our caravan in 2018 due to my bad back. Then after a very successful op my back improved and on the 3rd December last year we bought a 2016 Auto Sleeper Broadway EK Lo Line.
On the 4th December I put it into covered storage intending to use it in March. Then Of course Covid-19 struck and it’s not moved a wheel since, until today when I liberated it , dusted it off and brought it home to start loading it for use and get it ready for our first adventure.
Here is the embarrassing bit! It’s 8 full months since the dealer briefed me on it, and Ive simply forgotten how to fill it with fresh water! The handbook appears to advise filling it from an aquaroll using a pump, but surely you get water from a tap on site, should I have a hose or is that on the site tap?

TF
(18-07-2020, 06:29 PM)Tigerfish Wrote: Don’t laugh but embarrassingly I’ve got a very basic Motorhome question!
After 40 years of Caravanning we sold our caravan in 2018 due to my bad back. Then after a very successful op my back improved and on the 3rd December last year we bought a 2016 Auto Sleeper Broadway EK Lo Line.
On the 4th December I put it into covered storage intending to use it in March. Then Of course Covid-19 struck and it’s not moved a wheel since, until today when I liberated it , dusted it off and brought it home to start loading it for use and get it ready for our first adventure.
Here is the embarrassing bit! It’s 8 full months since the dealer briefed me on it, and Ive simply forgotten how to fill it with fresh water!  The handbook appears to advise filling it from an aquaroll using a pump, but surely you get water from a tap on site,  should I have a hose or is that on the site tap?

TF

You need to carry a hose, TF. One of those which shrink up very small is best. Most sites have a motorhome service point with filling and emptying points. Personally, I fill my tank at home. Lots of people see this as carrying un-necessary weight, but it means I don't have to faff about on arrival.
You could of course use an Aquaroll, but to me that is just silly. You fill the Aquaroll, take it to the van and pump it into the tank, then effectively, simply pump it back out again through the tap. Why not just take it to the tap from the Aquaroll as I do on my caravan.
Whatever, just get out and enjoy it! We're still shielding, so can't do anything for the moment.
Emerson,
Thank you. That is what I thought - indeed it was the lugging about of an Aquarol and a wastemaster that caused the demise of our caravan! I will obtain a hose and fill on site!
We too are “ Sheilding” due to diabetes and abnormal heart rhythm but otherwise fine.
Sheilding ceases on 1st August anyway and I suspect that we will be off this coming weekend. Yes a few days early but seriously what extra risk will we be taking in our mobile bubble?

TF
Where I spend the winter months in Spain, I'm always amused by the Continental vanners. Most of them carry a large watering can and they don't seem to mind making countless journeys back and forth between van and tap. However, the tap adjacent to the motorvan emptying point has a 1" hose permanently attached to it - all 50 metres of it.
(18-07-2020, 08:05 PM)Jaydug Wrote: Where I spend the winter months in Spain, I'm always amused by the Continental vanners.   Most of them carry a large watering can and they don't seem to mind making countless journeys back and forth between van and tap.   However, the tap adjacent to the motorvan emptying point has a 1" hose permanently attached to it - all 50 metres of it.

Yeah, it's odd isn't it? They must walk miles. I've had a couple of people ask about the Aquaroll, but I've never seen any Europeans using one.
(18-07-2020, 08:55 PM)emmerson Wrote: I've had a couple of people ask about the Aquaroll, but I've never seen any Europeans using one.

Yes! An Aquaroll certainly announces your nationality. Whether 'Jonny F' chooses not to use them or Hitchman hasn't entered the export market, I don't know, but an Aquaroll certainly causes curiosity amongst first-timers.
Never never ever use a hose you find on a site to supply fresh water. There have been too many reports of people using such hoses on their grey waste or even black waste containers!
Navigator

Land Rover - making mechanics out of drivers since 1948.
(19-07-2020, 11:59 AM)Navigator Wrote: Never never ever use a hose you find on a site to supply fresh water.  There have been too many reports of people using such hoses on their grey waste or even black waste containers!

I understand the problem you have seen but I always use if needed a blue hose made for drinking water, and I recommend to the visitors on our CL who use our water , that it is a requirement to use blue pipe, I also have a small stock for them to use.
(19-07-2020, 10:08 AM)Jaydug Wrote:
(18-07-2020, 08:55 PM)emmerson Wrote: I've had a couple of people ask about the Aquaroll, but I've never seen any Europeans using one.

Yes!   An Aquaroll certainly announces your nationality.   Whether 'Jonny F' chooses not to use them or Hitchman hasn't entered the export market, I don't know, but an Aquaroll certainly causes curiosity amongst first-timers.

I've never seen Aquarolls on sale at any of the camping and caravanning stores on the Continent. Another reason why one doesn't see them there is that none of their caravans have any provisions for pumping water from the Aquaroll into the caravan, so one would have to improvise a solution. Most on their caravans have on board water tanks as a precautionary measure to prevent the water from freezing in cold weather.
Car: 2016 BMW X4 30d
Caravan: 2008 Dethleffs Beduin 545V
Actually got away in our MH for our first ever 2 night stopover at Cirencester Park this weekend! Quite an adventure! The MH drove beautifully and we soon booked into the ram jam full park. Nice flat pitch so all well - So far!
Had found the fresh water inlet and had pre purchased a blue hose. Filled the onboard tank with 100 litres of fresh water and returned to the pitch. Pressed the pump switch and emptied 100 litres of freshwater under the MH. Checked that the train tap was closed - it was, found a toggle under a bunk and twisted it and then re filled with another 100 litres, which then joined the first 100 litres under the MH.
The DCOS was not amused and wanted To go home at this point .
Went for a walk around the site and found an identical Auto Sleeper Broadway and spoke to them. They fell about laughing saying that the same thing had happened to them on their first venture. They came back to my van and pointed out a small button on the rear of the hot water unit which drains it for winter use. Closed it and Peace and tranquility returned. Until that is when I decided to watch T.V. Remote control batteries don’t like 2 years of none use. It was dead!
Finally got that sorted and had a very stiff G & T.
All now sorted and had a very good shake down cruise!

TF