Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are we going?
I have to say that I am really concerned about the way that this Forum is going. I recognise that I am far from being one of the senior and founding members of this forum , but I do believe in it and really want to see it succeed. However in recent months, in reality it has ceased to be a forum whereby members discuss various subjects, and instead has become an avenue whereby a small number of members add to an even smaller number of question competitions. IMHO we are withering on the vine, and simply cannot continue in this way.
When I first joined the forum was much more vibrant with members expressing a wide number of opinions.
But sadly it then became a tad too politically extreme and a number of members departed. In an effort to stop that rot the management introduced a number of too severe restrictions which in turn emasculated the forum into the somewhat neutered forum that it is today. The active membership is far too small!
IMHO if we are to if survive we need to take a serious review of the forum and reinvigorate it!
This forum has a great potential and we do all need to discuss how we can breath new life into it!

TF
(20-09-2020, 11:54 PM)Tigerfish Wrote: I have to say that I am really concerned about the way that this Forum is going.  I recognise that I am far from being one of the senior and founding members of this forum , but I do believe in it and really want to see it succeed.  However in recent months, in reality it has ceased to be a forum whereby members discuss various subjects, and instead has become an avenue whereby a small number of members add to an even smaller number of  question competitions. IMHO we are withering on the vine, and simply cannot continue in this way.
When I first joined the forum was much more vibrant with members expressing a wide number of opinions.
But sadly it became a tad too politically extreme and a number of members departed. In an effort to top that rot the management introduced a number of too severe restrictions which in turn emasculated the forum into the somewhat neutered  one forum that it is today.  The active membership is far too small!
IMHO if we are to if survive we need to take a serious review of the forum and reinvigorate it!
This forum has a great potential and we do all need to discuss how we can breath new life into it!

TF

Good Post  TF.. I have said similar in the past but was accused of being critical of the forum management. I look in to this forum on occasions and if there are any interesting threads, I contribute.  Sadly I'm not interested in competitions, so normally there's absolutely nothing to take my interest. Like you TF, I believe that this forum started off OK but lost it's way as time went by.  Sad to say I doubt if it will ever recover.
A dog is for life . Not just for Christmas
This is not the only forum where members appear to be loosing interest. It's happened on three other forums I look at. The most common reason given for the fall in attendance is that "members prefer Facebook" - a site I very rarely look at.
I do look at this forum (nearly) every day and can't say I've noticed much of the things TigerFish has concerns about - apart from the declining activity. This is probably because I just don't look at threads about competitions, quizzes, pet pictures, etc which is how I read all the other fora I visit.

Perhaps this will turn into a discussion, and if so I suggest that what has been happening in "caravanning" is that the profile of the people participating has changed greatly.  Not just that the age profile has changed, but also the attitude of the participants to the activity. As an extreme example - consider the amount of perfectly good camping equipment that was being abandoned after festivals. The users considered the cost to themselves of dismantling, taking it home and storing it to be too high. So why have a caravan if one can stay in a pre-pitched tent or wee wooden hut, and just walk away afterwards?

The covid precautions have certanly made a massive and rapid change to caravanning. How might this difference turn out in the longer term once covid precautions have minimised?  Discuss.

And remember, compared to "CT" this forum is almost always available without "internal server errors"!!
Navigator

Land Rover - making mechanics out of drivers since 1948.
I to have noticed the “lack “ of posting on the forum , and I must say lately I have not posted much ,the reason is a few weeks ago my mum had a small stroke , so she obviously was my main priority, but now much better and for the first time in 18 months managed to have a few days away in the Cotswolds (we are there now) , so when I am back the Travellers bar will be fully open and no excuses not to drop in for a drink and chat.
In life ,always have a plan B Dodgy
I have tried my hardest to post on here interesting topics. Unfortunately I now not have the pleasure of owning a caravan and getting away so find it difficult to post on this topic. I so love the Travellers and Husky has done a smashing job of keeping it going. It would be nice if we could all support him more. Sorry to hear about your Mum and hope all goes well for her. Enjoy your break

Covid has played a great part in people not posting as not many of our members have been travelling.

Jaydug is right all the Caravan Forums I follow have been very quiet too Looking on FaceBook there are many groups who are thriving but sadly a lot of nastiness is aired in some posts something we have never had to contend with.

We have an excellent Forum and no problems with being offline etc. as Navigator mentions and Bugs keeps everything in order and up to date. We did have a member leave way back who did lure a lot of our interesting members who posted daily away which was very sad.

I would welcome any ideas of other subjects we could introduce with the exception of politics which can cause a lot of unpleasantness and I don’t believe is suitable for a Caravan and Motorhome Forum.
That’s great Dianne. Please be assured that the only reason for my post is that I do want this forum to succeed. It is the only Caravanning forum I use. I am convinced that it has the potential to be the very best which is why I voiced my concerns.

TF
Reading the title of this post I thought it was about future trips we were planning!!?
The earth has music for those who will listen,”

I have tried over the last couple of weeks to add more caravan related threads. We need to increase the numbers posting to have a greater range of topics and topical discussions. This is the only forum I regularly post on so will be sad to see it go
Riggers - 2022 Elddis Chatsworth 185 Motorhome

"Some cause happiness wherever they go - others whenever they go!" - Oscar Wilde.

(21-09-2020, 10:24 PM)Riggers Wrote: I have tried over the last couple of weeks to add more caravan related threads. We need to increase the numbers posting to have a greater range of topics and topical discussions. This is the only forum I regularly post on so will be sad to see it go

Thanks Riggers for your input greatly appreciated by all. At the moment we have a few members on the road which is good. Love hearing about the sites and trips.