Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SORN
"Midge" Our Motorhome's VED (Tax) runs out at the end of November, and she is already tucked up in her nice warm Barn. I suspect that for a variety of reasons not least of which is the increasingly bad onset of Covid again, that she will not venture out before early March at the earliest. The DCOS and I are both 75 and 76 now and we do like our home comforts in the dead of winter. So for the first time in my life I am considering declaring a SORN on Midge. But never having done it before I am wondering if anyone else has and how easy it was to get it going again afterwards?

TF
Bugs, Thanks for your PM, very reassuring! I had realised that out of her 12 months VED She had only been on the road in July, August and September! So I paid for 12 months but actually only used her for 3. Hardly good economics! Hence my SORN desire. I think I will give it a whirl especially if it is easy to resume if the Spring is good.

TF
The only problem with SORN is if you want to go away at the drop of a hat you are knackered
(24-10-2020, 10:11 PM)Admiral Wrote: The only problem with SORN is if you want to go away at the drop of a hat you are knackered

Admiral - you can tax the vehicle online, it cancels the SORN immediately, and off you go!

Bugs
bunny  We Live In A Rainbow Of Chaos, I'm Chasing The Carrot At The End Of The Tunnel bunny
That’s what I wanted to hear! That’s the way for me now. No way will I again tax Midge for 12 months and use her for three!

TF
My Son in Law put one of their cars on Sorn during the Lockdown as no point in taxing 2. I expect we could have done the same if we had thought but then you need a car in case of an Emergency sometimes.
(24-10-2020, 10:19 PM)Bugs Wrote:
(24-10-2020, 10:11 PM)Admiral Wrote: The only problem with SORN is if you want to go away at the drop of a hat you are knackered

Admiral - you can tax the vehicle online, it cancels the SORN immediately, and off you go!

Bugs

Not a lot of people know that
SORN from the month end and tax it from the 1st of the month. If you don't, you'll still pay as if you did.
I must admit that I keep all four of my vehicles taxed and insured and ready to go at any time. For the security of knowing that we are never going to be stuck I consider it well worth the cost, as it works out at less than £40 per week for all of them. As three of them are classic vehicles, they are possibly appreciating in value, which will help offset the cost anyway.
I probably will SORN the little Camelot camper, though, as she is now in storage pending sale.
Emerson, I hear what you are saying, but considering the situation we are in with Covid -19, what is the benifit of paying for twelve months road tax and then only getting to use it for three months? SORN allows you to tax it quickly when you want to use it so there is no problem there.
Insurance is an entirely different matter and my vehicles are fully insured at all times. Fire/ theft can happen at any time even whilst off road.

TF