Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Road Pricing Scheme?
Following reports that the Chancellor is considering options for a national road pricing scheme to stem falling fuel duty revenue, RAC head of roads policy Nicholas Lyes said:

“As more electric vehicles come on to our roads, revenue from fuel duty will decline so it’s inevitable a new system will have to be developed. While not paying car tax is clearly an incentive to go fully electric at the moment, we will very soon need a system that can levy tax on both conventionally fuelled and battery electric vehicles fairly. If this isn’t addressed, we risk finding ourselves in a situation where petrol and diesel drivers continue to pay all the tax for using the roads which is unsustainable.

“But drivers are firm in their views that any new system must not be used as a way to increase the tax burden on them. Despite this, RAC research shows around four-in-10 drivers believe that some form of ‘pay-per mile’ system would be fairer than the current system of fuel duty, while half (49%) agree that the more someone drives the more they should pay in tax. Drivers are also clear that tax revenues from any replacement for fuel duty should be solely reinvested back into the road network.”
bunny  We Live In A Rainbow Of Chaos, I'm Chasing The Carrot At The End Of The Tunnel bunny
I would like to know the names of the 4 in 10 people who who voted for a pay per mile, this system would put an end to a touring holiday in the UK, it has been suggested a figure of £1.50 per mile.

The cost to us to get from home to the Tunnel would be £450 plus £350 Tunnel fares = £800 before we set foot in France, if this suggestion comes to fruition we can say Bye Bye Boris and the Conservatives
Who thought up this £1.50 . . ? Currently my vehicle excise duty of around £350 relates to over 10,000 miles each year. Perhaps the decimal point is very much in the wrong place?
Navigator

Land Rover - making mechanics out of drivers since 1948.
Those of us who travel on the continent will be familiar with road tolls. I see no reason why we cannot have tolls on motorways in the UK. (The deficit in fuel tax will have to made up someway). The alternative would be a hike in fuel duty which would be much cheaper to implement but would impact on rural communities who do not have the alternative of decent public transport. Whatever is decided, we will have to accept the inevitable, unless of course we go for an Electric Powered Vehicle.
A dog is for life . Not just for Christmas
Its a Bl**** daft idea. They say that its because the shift to electric cars is resulting in a loss of revenue from fuel duty. Who's fault is that? They are the ones that are pushing the change to electric.
I bet that they are not planning to abolish fuel duty when Road charging comes in. So those of us that stick to petrol and diesel cars will pay twice! Fuel duty AND Road pricing!!!
No Never

TF
Is it April 1st already?
In life ,always have a plan B Dodgy
Fake News as usual I expect. How does the RAC or anyone know what the Chancellor or the Government are planning, if they are.
. . . and those with the battery cars will be spending an absolute fortune on coffee and paninni while they wait to get it charged up for the next 100 miles
Navigator

Land Rover - making mechanics out of drivers since 1948.
Sadly I don't think that it is fake news's as I have also received through official channels, i.e. through local govt news. It does however stress that the plans to introduce are not imminent!

TF
Maybe the Government will flip flop again if they read this thread, the £1.50 per mile was an idea that the Labour Gov. had a long time ago and it caused such a hullabaloo they dropped the idea maybe the Chancellor is too young to remember that