Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time for a new battery.
On these last two dark, dingy afternoons I’ve been doing a job in the caravan so I’ve needed all the lights on. I’d noticed that, in spite of all the lights being LED, the battery voltage has been falling quite quickly. So, before I finished for the day, I got out my battery meter and ran a test on the battery. Sure enough, the meter confirmed that the battery was on its last legs.

But it’s no big surprise. It was about to have its fifth birthday this month. In late November of 2015, I’d just spent my second night in the van at Salamanca when I was awakened in the early hours by the carbon monoxide alarm chirping. Since I had no gas appliances lit, I assumed the alarm had developed a fault, so I removed the battery and went back to bed. In the morning, I replaced the battery, but within half an hour, it was sounding again. Once again I removed the battery. Later in the day, I became aware of an unpleasant smell so I started to investigate. Sink, fridge, cupboards, under-bed lockers. They were all checked, but the smell seemed strongest under the bed. Eventually, I looked in the battery box and immediately saw thin wisps of smoke. I touched one of the terminals and found they were too hot to touch. I quickly removed the 230v plug and frantically went looking for spanners in the car. I’m convinced the battery was about to explode.

I would need a replacement battery but it was too late in the day to go looking. I spent the evening on the internet and discovered that on the far side of Salamanca, there was a Carrefour Superstore. It was to there I went the following morning. On their shelves, I found an identical battery to that which is under the bonnet of my car – a high duty 096 model. I bought it, and returned to the van to fit it. Over its five years lifetime, it’s given sterling service, coping well with some long manoeuvres on the motor mover. Its replacement should arrive tomorrow.
That battery did very well Clap thumbup
Perhaps this is a good time to fit clamp terminals?
Navigator

Land Rover - making mechanics out of drivers since 1948.
The battery on our Freelander lasted 15 years before needing to be replaced.

Wink Yep
bunny  We Live In A Rainbow Of Chaos, I'm Chasing The Carrot At The End Of The Tunnel bunny
(18-11-2020, 10:19 PM)Navigator Wrote: Perhaps this is a good time to fit clamp terminals?

I got so panicked trying to get the original bolt clamps undone, I resolved to fit quick release as soon as possible. I fitted these on my return to UK.

[Image: P1000755.jpg]
That should do the trick!

For the information of others who may read this thread later, an isolator switch (in the red lead) could also be used and does not require going close to the battery as it can be fitted at a distance, perhaps inside the caravan.
Navigator

Land Rover - making mechanics out of drivers since 1948.
Yes, good move Jd, your tale reminded me of a very similar event with my B&S in law. a couple of years ago l had a phone call from them whilst they were away, asking if I knew of anything that would get rid of the horrible smell in their caravan, after asking a few questions, I asked them to go to the battery compartment and check the battery. Knowing that my SiL smoked, I sternly warned them not to smoke anywhere near the battery, sure enough, they reported that the battery was smelly and feeling hot. I told them to do the same as you and disconnect the EHU and battery, also open all windows before using gas for the fridge, water heater etc. I think it frightened my SiL as she gave up smoking in or around their caravan.
A dog is for life..... Not just for Lockdown
Her ladyships Limmo's battery failed two weeks ago after six years, it was guaranteed for five, I'm convinced manufacturers design their product to fail just outside the warrentee
(18-11-2020, 10:23 PM)Bugs Wrote: The battery on our Freelander lasted 15 years before needing to be replaced.

Car battery life has always been a bit of a lottery. The shortest battery life I've ever experienced was on a Xantia bought new in 1998. One morning in 2001 we left Pompeii and drove nearly 300 miles to Figline Valdarno, just south of Florence. Before checking in at our site, we went to the supermarket in town. After loading our shopping I went to start the car and the engine just grunted. The battery was completely dead. That was an Exide battery that expired at just three years.

Fortunately, I've always used diesel starter batteries on the caravan so it was a simple job of switching the battery from the caravan to the car. Once home I was able to source a new battery for the Xantia at my leisure.
(19-11-2020, 12:33 PM)Admiral Wrote: Her ladyships Limmo's battery failed two weeks ago after six years, it was guaranteed for five, I'm convinced manufacturers design their product to fail just outside the warrentee

I have to agree Admiral, not just batteries either Yes
A dog is for life..... Not just for Lockdown