Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camping Sonnland, near Coburg, Bavaria
Camping Sonnland, Sesslach www.camping-sonnland.de  

This site was a real find, tucked away near the small medieval town of Sesslach, just south of Coburg. The 50 pitches are generous and are set in small terraced bays with 5 or 6 units to a bay and demarcated by shrubs so it feels quite private. There are also a number of seasonal pitches as the site is open all year. ACSI inspected but not part of the scheme. Approx €21 per night.

The facilities are excellent, having been completely renovated in early 2014, with separate sex toilet blocks and showers. There are also 2 washing machines (charge) but only one dishwashing sink, which could cause a bit of a queue in high season.

The lower terrace near Reception has a natural swimming hole – a large pond but with a liner – and sunbathing decks and an outdoor shower. Everywhere is well-kept and mown, and the position of the site beyond the edge of town means that it is very peaceful. It takes only 10 mins to stroll there.

To gain entry you need to ring a mobile number if Reception is closed (which it was mostly), but Herr Owner came within a minute to let us through the barrier. He speaks no English at all but is very pleasant - I managed with arm-waving & a dictionary! One big bonus is that there is free wifi throughout the site, with a limit of 500MB a day for one device.

Sesslach is beautiful; it is a completely walled small medieval town whose huge wooden gates are closed to motorists at weekends so you have to park outside, but it does make the place traffic-free. It also fools sat-navs who try to insist you “follow the route”! It is a lovely collection of ancient but very well preserved houses/shops/beer gardens and a fairly plain church with the most impressive interior.

The whole area is filled with rolling hills and tiny ancient villages; the lovely medieval town of Coburg (castles, palaces, churches, shops, cafes, restaurants) is a 15 min drive away and Bamberg (ditto magnified) is 40 mins. Many of the main roads have cycle paths and the site is 25 mins from the autobahn.

Attached Files Image(s)

My blog of our travels with & without the caravan: http://v2.travelark.org/traveller/blackpoolbelle  

We stayed at Camping Sonnland in 2005 and enjoyed it very much more details on link below

http://www.joysofeuropeancaravanning.co....pe2005.htm

Dianne, if there was a "Like" button for your pictures, I would have pressed it Smile I have similar pictures too, except for the Hummel one.
My blog of our travels with & without the caravan: http://v2.travelark.org/traveller/blackpoolbelle  

(09-02-2016, 07:32 PM)Blackpool Belle Wrote: Dianne, if there was a "Like" button for your pictures, I would have pressed it Smile I have similar pictures too, except for the Hummel one.

The guy in the Hummel Factory was so nice  and chatted with us.  I Love Hummel and have quite a few.

Totally agree with the above reviews. I did brave the pond and have a swim with the newts, pond skaters and water boatmen and it was a great cooling experience. Walked to the Edeka store most mornings for fresh rolls.
A bird doesn't sing because it has the answer, it sings because it has a song