Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Recommendations?
On our last holiday we had a day trip to Mostar in Bosnia-H to see the historic bridge amongst other things. Lovely day, spoilt only by the fact that I had my camera stolen just before we got on the coach to return to our hotel! arghh

So I'm looking to replace it with a new one. Wondered if anyone had any recommendations. I don't need anything special really, just a basic digital camera with some digital and optical zoom and must be easy to transfer pictures taken to my PC.

Any ideas folk?
You don't have to a have a dog in your life - but it certainly helps!
I think it depends what you want to use it for.

I've got a Canon Digital SLR - great camera with all of the bells and whistles

I pretty much stopped using the DSLR when I got a Canon Ixus mini-digital - great camera which I could just slip into my pocket

I pretty much stopped using the Canon Ixus when I got my new Nokia Lumia 735 phone - with a great camera!!

I only ever display my images on the internet these days - and even the phone takes big, resource eating images which far exceeds the quality needed for online publishing!!

Bugs
bunny  We Live In A Rainbow Of Chaos, I'm Chasing The Carrot At The End Of The Tunnel bunny
Hapz has recently been discussing cameras in one of the other threads, Moulesy. I'll let him explain his findings rather than confuse the issue.

I have a Canon Powershot bridge camera which gives reasonable results and is simple enough for me to cope with. It's several years old now and technology has moved on.
I have a Panasonic FZ200 which is a great bridge camera with a x24 zoom which will give an equivalent of 600mm all at F2.8. This camera will not slip into your pocket but should cost under £300.
Also have a Panasonic TZ40 which is a great little digital camera (will slip in pocket) and has a zoom of 400mm. The draw back for me is that it has a fix back screen which can be problematic in bright sunshine. The quality of pics, even on full automatic, is really good.
A bird doesn't sing because it has the answer, it sings because it has a song
Has your PC got a card slot, Moulesy? If so, in my opinion, the easiest method of transfer from camera to PC is to insert the SD/Micro SD card from the camera into the PC Card slot. Simples!
If you don't have a SD card slot  Moulesy, card readers that plug into a USB port are cheap enough.  BTW a lot of modern cameras come with built in Wifi which enables you to download direct to your computer without removing the memory card. 
A bird doesn't sing because it has the answer, it sings because it has a song
I swear by Panasonic Lumix I have had two, wore my first one out, sd card would not sto in, now have a cheap DMC-SZ8. slips into my pocket or handbag, Zoom and WiFi. With this and my last one all the photos on my website or on here taken with one of them,bathe later ones with the latest. Got it from Currys PC World just over £100, cannot remember exactly, last November.

If you wish to know anymore about just ask.

Dianne
I agree with Bugs on this, it very much depends on what you want it for. I own a Lumix bridging camera that is a few years old now but can still give some good results. Things have moved on so much in recent years re zoom sizes and image pixels but it is no use having a top spec camera if all you want is something that slips into your pocket. Sorry to be vague but so many people buy a great camera costing £££ only to get fed up carrying it about. Angel
What is life if full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
I've been interested in photography since my brother sold me a Zenith E when I was 17, then a Cosina CSM, then a Canon AE1 (my all time favorite) and I've been loyal to Canon ever since.
At present I have a digital SLR with all the trimmings and various lenses, and use that quite a bit. I also have a small Canon digital compact and use that when I can't bothered to carry the SLR and on the computer screen its is impossible to tell the difference. One is always with me. If you're not into carrying a lot of equipment around go for a digital compact.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
I have a Bridge Cam(Panasonic fz1000) yes, you do need to know this Yep I also have a portable Nikon s9900 compact, 30x zoom, the PCs set side by side & video are practically identical, the Pano just takes the biscuit. The Pano is like a DSLR with all of its features but it's also nearly £300 more than the Nikon compact. I use the Pano all the time because of its versatility but the Nikon is light & can be carried on in a belt case-it's my 'go to' Cam for walks/Hols. The Nikon has an SD card slot so takes minutes to upload pics to computer or Tab Smile